Holiday Pet Safety

Christmas Trees

If you have a real Christmas tree you should be aware that the needles will fall from your tree over time. They are hard and sharp, and can easily get stuck in animal paws or throats.

Cats and dogs may show a keen interest towards the baubles and decorations hanging from your Christmas tree, which could result in a nasty accident. Try to use unbreakable baubles, don't use anything too small, and make

Decorative Dangers

Tinsel/streamers can be deadly for animals that eat them (it'll get tangled in their intestines).

Always remove wrapping paper(and toys) when not using to avoid your pet chewing or choking on them.

 

Poisonous Plants

Although dogs and cats usually have a good sense of what they can and cannot ingest, accidents do happen. Many plants, including Christmas rose, holly, mistletoe, Poinsettias, philodendron, and dieffenbachia are toxic to your pet. Always try to keep them out of your pets reach. The smaller the pet, the more risk of toxicity if she ingests a poisonous plant. Some signs of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, nervousness, difficulty breathing, and change in pupil size. Your pet may even stumble, go into convulsions, or become unconscious. Seek medical attention immediately.

Holiday Foods

Alcoholic beverages, candy, turkey and fixings, pork, fish, chicken bones, just to name a few hazards. Be careful when giving bones. They can splinter when chewed and possibly puncture the intestinal tract.

Never give your pet chocolate. It is highly toxic to dogs -- causing stomach cramps, constipation or diarrhea, and even death.

Another food related hazard is the plastic six-pack beverage holders; kittens especially, can become entangled in them. Remember to cut them up before putting them into the garbage. This will also help the wildlife at the landfills (especially birds).

Winter Chemicals

Pets that go outside can pick up rock salt, ice and chemical ice melts in their footpads. These can make your pet's paws chapped and raw. Pets will also lick the salt off their feet, which can cause inflammation of their digestive tract. To avoid this wipe their feet with a washcloth when they come inside. You can also use pet-safe products like SAFE PAW around areas were your pet is likely to spend time.